Friday, February 18, 2011

Weeping Willows

I'm not sure why I never posted this. I thought I lost all of my portfolio files today with an accidental rewrite, but I didn't luckily, and I went through it all real quick. This was a C.F. Payne assignment, as he was trying to get me out of my monsters and military gear mindset a bit. So he gave me this, which at the time was really annoying because I was trying to set up a heavily editorial ink port with a dark influence. Borderline horror/fantasy sort of stuff. So I sort of pooped this thing out pretty quickly, but to be honest, I think it turned out pretty good and it's the one all my family members like the most... probably becuase it doesn't make me look like as much of a weirdo. So here it is in all it's colorful wonder.

I still sort of revel in the timeline for this one. It came together really quick once I abandoned the plan to paint it traditionally. It was drawn out on a piece of scrap cold press illustration board I had laying around, and the grain of it really benefited the reddish brown prisma color pencil I drew the lines in. So when I colored it, it probably took all of an hour and half to do.


6 comments:

ambergoulet said...

So, you digitally colored it?

Mike Puncekar said...

Yep, Once the lines were scanned it was all photoshop

PhiL said...

this is seriously awesome

Jonathan Vair Duncan said...

I saw the image and instantly assumed Chris had a hand in this.

You did exceptionally well with it. Tackling an atypical subject matter this well proves that you're a wonderful asset to any commercial art endeavor!

Mike Puncekar said...

Kind words all.

Really glad you commented Jon as I had lost track of your blog. Definitely following now.

Salim Cortes said...

Wow this takes me back to one of my favorite childhood books "MR.Frog and MR.Toad" but a more beefed up version.Thank for sharing.